Friday, July 5, 2013

Philla Barkhorn - Day 6

The Block In. Here's a few things I've learned: start with a gesture  (what the heck is a gesture anyway? I just try to imagine if water were running over the figure, where would it go and I draw that)  and then allow yourself five lines to envelope the form. Whittle it down from there using all straight lines. This is very hard for me, so I try to look at the figure and imagine I have five pixie sticks and I need to arrange them around the form to make an envelope, and I try to draw just that. Once that seems right I start to add and subtract and "sculpt" my way in to an accurate drawing. Gregory Mortenson said he can spend up to twelve hours on the block in, hmmmmmm........

1 comment:

  1. I like your descriptions, Philla, and your drawing!

    ReplyDelete